Friday, March 9, 2012

Week 3/5-3/11: Managing the Conflict Climate: Part 2

Power can mean many things, but in relation to chapter six it is the capability to influence or control actions (Trenholm, 2011, pg. 104). When in an unbalanced power relationship it is uncomfortable, uneasy, and a lack of self confidence. Whether the unbalanced relationship is a work relationship (manager to employee), family relationship (mom/dad to child) or an intimate relationship (husband/boyfriend to wife/girlfriend) the unbalanced power can escalate to violence. To have more power, one feels just that- powerful. Although you may feel that power has gone to a wrong level, it still feels like you have control over something. However, when your boss tells you something in a demeaning manner, it can lead to poor work productivity, and may lead one to quite.

In the past I had an awful job and my manager was the reason for my hate of that job. I felt belittled every day, and I only thought how I could leave that horrid situation rather than focusing on the tasks provided to me. When I put in a vacation request she verbally approved the days. Once I purchased the plane tickets and verified once more that I would be out, she responded with perplexity. She retracted her approval. I talked to her, the Human Resources Manager, and the head of our department, and they all stated, “Whatever your manager feels right, is what will happen.” I gave my two weeks’ notice, and took the vacation. Five weeks after the vacation, I found myself a terrific job and still work here.

3 comments:

  1. Having a boss/manager that abuses their power is an awful thing. It makes work feel like hell and ends up affecting our daily lives. Your manager and the rest of the staff did not handle that situation well. I’m glad you put your two weeks in because as much as we need a job and need money, we should never let others belittle us. I think leaving that place was the perfect thing to do considering that you soon found another job that you actually enjoy! Good luck with your current job and hopefully the manager and staff are much more professional than the ones at your last job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Comm Rocker,
    I definitely agree with your post. Yes certain relationships such as a work one will undoubtedly be unbalanced in power. There is always a manager or boss that is in charge of other employees. Like you stated, just because there is unbalanced power, does not mean the power needs to be abused. Unfair treatment from those with higher authority can cause employees, like yourself, to hate their job. Anyone who is unhappy with their work environment is not going to have the best work productivity possible, nor are they going to be willing to go the distance for that job. I’m glad you found a place that knows the right way to handle the unbalanced power structure because it is definitely key to a successful business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your post. I thought originally we were talking about a relationship in a couple, and now that you have put into a better perspective, I see how we can relate this in many instances to work, school, sports. I feel as you states that these powers need not to be abused by someone, especially in even a sport environment, I had a baseball coach that would constanly use his power to boss us around about playing and even doing stuff for him at school, and there was a clear showcase of overuse of power. Good post!

    ReplyDelete