Saturday, March 10, 2012
Week 3/5-3/11: Managing the Conflict Climate: Part 3
The art of neutral speech is something I would like to master. It is making everyone in a conversation feel comfortable and that everyone is as equal as the person next to them. No one feels powerless and no one feels power in these situations. The people in authority who use this quite possibly have a career in mediation. Neither party in the process is threatened by the mediator nor their opposing party. This is why I refer to this term as an art. Communication is done every day, but people who make everyone feel important and weighs the power scale at an even level takes a special trait or has taken a lot of practice. A professor whom asks the students in the classroom to call them by their first name is practicing this skill. All the students in the class refer to each other on a first name basis, so professors requesting to only be called Dr., Mrs., Miss, or Mr. Is requesting to be referenced in a powerful position.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your post. Looking at the other concepts to write about I was going to write about this one was of my top choices but I decided to write about thromise concept. The neutral speech is a concept that I feel I would like also master; the definition o it is that a person does not talk down or talk up to the others but talks to them as equals and relies on objective language. It is usually difficult for this communication to work because of the society we live in, where there are labels attached to an individual. If a professor gets his PHD, it is required to call him by Dr. then his/her name. Enjoyed the post keep up the great work