Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Week 2/13-19: Managing Others’ Disputes through Mediation: Part 2
You may utilize the techniques such as fractionation, framing, reframing, and common ground for solving problems that do not involve interpersonal conflicts. The mediator uses these techniques to assist in the process of solving two conflicting parties. The first, fractionation is taking a complicated problem and breaking it apart into smaller more simple problems. This tactic could be used at work, or even in your personal relationships. Framing is a way to summarize troubles by asking unbiased questions. This also could be used in a professional situation to get a consensus of data. Reframing is taking already negatively stated discussions and flips them to be more positive or neutral. This is helpful when teaching a child a lesson and how to analyze things in a different light. Common ground is where various attitudes, values, behaviors, and goals can be used as a foundation for a portion of a solution. All of these tactics and techniques can be used in many different conflicts and assist in coming to an easier conclusion where everyone wins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think breaking down problems (fractioning) is a great way to initiate problem solving. I think if people start too big it can make people extremely overwhelmed and they then end up being unable to feel accomplished.
ReplyDeletePlus, often smaller issues lead to the larger issues, so maybe in resolving some of the smaller ones, it will make the larger ones easier to clear up.
I totally agree with you, that framing techniques can also be used to resolve personal disputes and professional issues. I have two kids and they have conflicts over not just one issue but literally every thing. Both of them come running to me justifying their own side, and I have to use framing techniques to resolve their dispute.
ReplyDeleteAsking unbiased question puts light on several nitty gritties of the issue which are not addressed by both the parties. Questions like the following suddenly light up the whole situation.
What was the problem?
How is it bothering both of them?
How does it matter?
What can be the good consequnces?
What can be the bad consequences?
In fact even kids can analyze the dispute and realize in the end it was not that big a problem, and how they were making a big deal of it. I tell you, I dont know about others, but for me comm115 class is going to be very helpful in managing conflicts at home.