Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Process View of Conflict

During stage four of the Interpersonal Conflict Resolution is to consider your partner’s point of view: listen, empathize, and respond with understanding. This can be very difficult when I get into an argument with my younger sister.

She gets easily flustered when she feels pressured or under any pressure, and will lash out at the nearest person. It can be very hard to see her point of view because in my opinion she can be irrational and inconsiderate of others feelings. It is difficult to see her point of view, when she refuses to see yours. Recently she asked me to do a favor, but I could not accept due to my work hours. I requested she ask another person in the family, but she became angry. She accepted the responsibility of this task, and she decided to go out of town and put the task on someone else at the last minute. I did not understand why she did not see why I could not do it. She is still angry at me. It wasn’t until I read this chapter that I let go my frustration at her and simply see her point of view.

No matter how asinine I may think my sister may be I am now going to put myself in her shoes, and TRY to understand. I will think of this chapter and be more empathetic. I understand I could have accepted the task, and if I could not do it, I would have just called someone to help me. I still have not talked to her since she will not return my calls or texts, but I am sure we will work it out as we always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment